On this page:
Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
STC Employment Resources
- STC Jobs Board
- STC Resume Bank
- WDCB Job Announcement Feeds RSS feeds from a variety of job announcement feeds.
- What Are Some Good Reference Books? Recommended books for careers in communication
- STC Society's Technical Communication Salary Database
- Apprenticeship.gov, U.S. Department of Labor. The term "apprenticeship" means an arrangement that includes a paid-work component and an educational or instructional component, wherein an individual obtains workplace-relevant knowledge and skills.
- Internships with C-SPAN
- Glassdoor (search for specific types such as writing, editing, marketing, summer, etc. and locations using the Search selection lists) Enter internship type Washington, DC or Baltimore
- Glassdoor Summer Internships Washington, DC Summer Internships
- Summer Intern Salaries in Washington, DC Reported salaries as of October 2014
- Idealist Nonprofit internships in DC
- Indeed Internship Listings Internships Maryland jobs
- Land the perfect internship with Internships.com
- Boeing Internships in Engineering, Business, and Experiernce in Washington, D.C.
- Maryland State government offers internships in several departments Maryland Internships Resources
- Discovery Channel has internships all over the world. See all open internships azround the world
- University of Maryland Internship Programs
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of Arts & Humanities
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of Communication
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of Biological Sciences Undergraduates
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of Computer, Mathematics, & Natural Sciences
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of English
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of English— Pre-Professional
- University of Maryland Internship Program: Department of History
Non-STC Local Employment Opportunities
- "I Have a Degree in English—What Can I Do With It?"
- Americans for the Arts Job Bank for the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area Revised
- American Hospital Association (AHA) Career Center
- Baltimore Writing and Editing Jobs
- Baltimore Jobs
- Career Builder
- Careerjet is a job search engine that collects job listings originating from company websites, recruitment agency websites, and large specialist recruitment sites. Searches are refined by location or by industry.
- CareerOneStop Center The CareerOneStop is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration
- Craigslist, Washington, DC writing and editing jobs
- Computer work
- European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) – Jobs at ERCIM member institutes
- Federal Government Jobs official job site of the U.S. Federal Government
- Federal Government writing and editing jobs
- Federal Government technical writing and editing jobs
- Government Bids (formerly BidRadar) a bid notification service for local, state & Federal government bids and awarded listings matched to your business profile
- Find State Job Banks. CareerOneStop help's you find your state's job bank (CareerOneStop is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration)
- Forty Plus of Greater Washington
- Guru.com — find Freelance work online & across the world
- iHire Jobs search 56 industry-specific sites.
- International Writing Centers Association (IWCA) Job Postings New
- LinkedIn Jobs Find a job using your LinkedIn network
- LinkedIn Jobs in Washington, DC area
- Mailing Lists:
- Ned's Job of the Week free email networking newsletter. It's free, and comes out every Monday. To join, send an email to and ask to join the network.
- Maryland Judiciary Careers
- Tom Mantos Jobs known as one of the top jobs lists on Capitol Hill and in Washington D.C., "Tom Manatos Jobs" has helped thousands of people find government and political jobs. New
- The NEXXT Generation of Hiring New
- Jobs at C-SPAN Networks
- Jobs at PBS—Current Openings
- Manpower New
- Maryland Federal Law Enforcement Jobs
- Monster Board
- Monster.com Career Advice search for internships and entry-level jobs
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Careers
- Native Americans / Aboriginals:
- Opportunities in Public Affairs (OPA) Washington, DC area Public Relations and Public Affairs Jobs
- Science Career Jobs (from the journal Science)
- Science Jobs
- STC Technical Communication Job Announcements for Washington, DC area
- Smithsonian Institution Employment Information and links
- Shakespeare Theatre Opportunites
- University of Maryland Employment Opportunities for Non-Exempt Positions, Exempt, Faculty, and Graduate Assistant Positions positions at the university
- Techwr-L Employment Job Announcements
- USAJobs U.S. Office of Personnel Management official one-stop source for Federal jobs
- U.S. Dept. of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook, Technical Writers / Technical Communicators
- W3C Team Fellowship and Job Opportunities (some jobs can be e-work)
- Washington Publishers (WP) Job Announcements in the Publishing Industry
- WashingtonDCDiversity.com, powered by Circa. Provides links to local employers, employment agencies, job banks, and career resources that serve Washington, DC.
- CareerOneStop's Toolkit such as an employer locator, skills inventory, local training finder, scholarship finder, and more.
- Employment Information for People with Disabilities Revised
- Social Security Publication: Working While Disabled – A Guide To Plans For Achieving Self-Support SSA Publication No. 05-11017, February 2004 (.pdf)
(en Español and other languages)
- Federal Employment Optional Application Form 612 PDF file fill-in form (.pdf)
- National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE)
- NLX, the National Labor Exchange is a service provided by the DirectEmployers Association, a consortium of Fortune 500 and other leading corporations nationwide, connected with the National Association of State Workforce Agencies (NASWA).
- Occupational Information Network O*NET Online (replaces the Dept. of Labor's DOT)
- Occupational Outlook Quarterly Article on Internet Job Hunting Resources (how to use the Internet to look for a job)
- ProBonoLink.org (in Central Ohio, nonprofits may post their projects and connect with marketing and communication experts who are interested in discussing a project and volunteering help)
- Professional Outplacement Assistance Center (POAC) – Workforce Development & Adult Learning is a service offered by the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation's Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning. POAC provides assistance to individuals who are in the professional, executive, technical, managerial, and/or scientific occupations.
- Résumé Build, résumé templates for every job. Revised
- Résumé Writing Assistance matches technical writers, copywriters, and Web content specialists with corporate and freelance positions.
- SAM.gov the official site for registering to do business with the federal government. Revised
- Social Security Administration
- Unemployment Information:
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) serves as the chief human resources agency and personnel policy manager for the Federal Government. OPM directs human resources and employee management services, administers retirement benefits, manages healthcare and insurance programs, oversees merit-based and inclusive hiring into the civil service, and provides a secure employment process.
- U.S. Military Spouse Resources is a resource library for military spouse employment, education, and relocation information sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- IRS – Where's My Refund? use to check on your IRS refund.
Changing Careers / Interviewing Tools
- Wall Street Journal Helpful Job and Career Information
- Interviewing checklist use to list of questions to prepare for interviews and what not to do.
Changing Careers / Relocation Tools
- IRS – W-4 Tax Withholding Calculator use to help calculate proper W-4 withholdings so your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay.
- Compare Cost of Living in Cities to get side-by-side comparison of two cities' cost of living, climate, demographics, and more.
- Paycheck Calculator use to calculate gross or net pay, as well as tax withholdings on bonus pay.
- Salary Calculator & Cost-of-Living Reports for International, Canada, & U.S. cities provided by SalaryExpert.com. Get a free salary report by job title and location for most cities world wide.
- SalaryList.com The Data Resource Group provides salary information by job title, company, or location.
- Salary Planning and Surveys The Economic Research Institute (ERI) also provides Career salary and cost of living calculators.
- Social Security Benefit Calculator use to calculate your Social Security retirement benefits using different retirement scenarios. Based on amounts you enter.
What Else will Help Me?
- This site's home page of Job Announcement Feeds RSS feeds from a variety of job announcement feeds.
- This site's Employment Resources page for leads to local internships, where to look for jobs, STC and non-STC employment resources, and salary surveys.
- Look on the Web at the home pages for specific companies you are interested in. Most of them have an employment (jobs, careers) page where you can apply directly to the company.
How to Send Us A Job Announcement
- How do I send you a job announcement?
- Send an email message to the Website Team Assistant , Vacant, at website team assistent with the following information:
- Company Name and Website.
- Job Title
- Job Description
- Job Type (fill time, half time, telecommute, onsite or offsite contract, etc.)
- Contract Duration, if any
- Job Location City, State, Zip-Code,
- Salary Range
- Experience Level
- Security Clearance Needed
- Job Responsibilities
- Job Requirements
- About the Hiring Company (brief info about the company the job is for–not the recruiting agency)
- How to Apply
- Apply by Date
- URL for applying online
If we have questions:
- Your Contact Name
- Your Contact Phone Number
- Your Contact Email
- Where can I post my job announcement with the STC society?
- Employers and recruiters may review resumes and post jobs on the STC Job Bank. Visit the STC Job Bank page for pricing options and more to take advantage of the experience and skills gained by hiring STC members.
- Where can I post my resume?
- STC members may post their resumes for free on the STC Job Bank https://careers.stc.org/.
Last modified: July 16, 2021