Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
Job Opportunity for a Technical Writer
Orbis is seeking a Technical Writer with experience documenting software products using Word, XML, MadCap Flare and/or other related markup languages and tools. This is a position for someone who has worked on multiple kinds of projects previously, and enjoys learning new things. The ideal candidate background includes experience working with software documentation.
- Job Type:
- Full-time, Exempt with hours of operations from Monday to Friday, between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Contract Duration:
- Job Location:
- Annapolis, MD 21401; Durham, NC 27713; Orlando, FL 32826; Brookfield, WI 53005; Colorado Springs, CO 80921.
- Salary Range:
- Between $50K range
- Experience Level:
- 3+ years
- Security Clearance Needed:
- Job Responsibilities:
- Take a big picture view of large amounts of content, determining the content information model and best way to simplify the authoring process for this content.
- Interface with clients and take initiative to gather information including using existing resources, doing research, calling Subject Matter Experts, and utilizing software applications to obtain information and screenshots.
- Coordinate with subject matter experts, project manager and writing team to ensure that the right information is getting to the right people, and that the documentation produced is accurate, following clearly defined standards.
- Develop client documentation for a variety of products and industries, including content for software developers.
- Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Must be able to work on-site
- U.S. citizenship
- 3+ years of experience in technical writing with technical writing being your primary job function.
- Bachelor's degree in technical writing, journalism, communications, or related field.
- Aptitude for understanding software products.
- Experience with researching and gathering relevant technical data from subject matter experts such as engineers, service personnel, software developers, and programmers as well as from internal documents such as wiki pages, Jira tickets, and design documents.
- In-depth knowledge of standards and best practices for writing software documentation.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and general business communication skills.
- Experience working independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Demonstrated success working in an environment driven by budget, scope, and deadlines across multiple clients/projects.
- Microsoft Word
- Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Oxygen XML Editor (or similar editor)
- MadCap Flare
- Visual Studio Code, Notepad ++ (or similar editor)
- Please note:
- This job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- About the Hiring Company:
- Orbis Technologies, Inc. provides award-winning products, solutions, and services powering enterprise software for hundreds of clients across four continents and fourteen countries. Orbis software and services support mission-critical Enterprise Content Management Software, Solutions, Services, and Analytical Software Solutions. We make semantic technologies perform on a global scale. Every day, thousands of users at our prestigious commercial, military, and federal customers depend on our software and solutions. When other partners miss the mark, Orbis gets the job done.
- How to Apply:
- Apply by Date:
- URL for applying online:
- Technical Writer
HR Manager, SHRM-CP
Office: + 1 410-224-9736
180 Admiral Cochrane Drive, Suite 305
Annapolis, Maryland, 21401 USA
Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication. STC member since June 1979. Director at Large, Washington, DC – Baltimore chapter and webmaster. Past chapter president of the Washington, DC chapter (1998-1999 and 2000-2001).